Although qualifications are a great way of demonstrating competence in your career, it’s important to also maintain high standards by accruing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points. Lots of professional bodies place great value on CPD and it certainly plays a big role in the sector, but how do you make sure your CPD is working for you?
The International Association of Book-keepers have been kind enough to share their top tips for getting the most out of your CPD with us!
Read on to find out how to make the most of your CPD…
- Don’t forget spontaneous CPD. Learning can happen through conversations with colleagues or people you meet at events. By acknowledging spontaneous CPD it means that learning will occur without too much extra work.
- Maintaining a record of your CPD may seem daunting. However, you can easily keep a portfolio of evidence by keeping any receipts for learning materials/courses and containing attendance or completion certificates from events you have attended. . You don’t have to record every single article you have read, but by recording some of the key CPD you have engaged with you will show that you are competent and keen to update your skills and knowledge.
- By identifying the challenges you may encounter at work this will enable you to plan how to meet them and may help to identify suitable CPD for you.
- Break your CPD into manageable chunks by setting aside short but regular slots in your diary to record a CPD activity. You could do this on your way home from work, or make this your first or last task each week.
- By sharing your experiences or knowledge you have gained from CPD activities with colleagues or clients you will be showing that you are confident in the work you do and being proactive in ensuring you are aware of any changes or news within the profession.
- In a competitive market place, it is more important than ever to remain employable and keep up with rapid change. By engaging in CPD activities and topics that are outside your immediate priorities you will be showing you are passionate about your career and it will show to any employer that you are competent in the work you do.
How do you make the most of CPD? Have you got any top tips to add? Let us know in the comments!